Engine Number - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Engine Number

Dear all, I need your invaluable help once again.

I suspect my RR has been through an engine change at some point during its life. Can anyone confirm that the engine number is located exactly under the thermostat housing and the engine number is preceded by the letters SY?

Its a 1968 Silver Shadow with the 6230cc engine

From what I can understand the engine number is suppose to be the same as the digits in the chassis number right?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 01:36 AM

the Number is located on the block just under the oil-filler-cap. its only the chassisnumber without any letters on my 69 SS1

kind regards from the continent
Michael
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Michael

There doesn't seem to be a number there. I suspect however that your SS1 has the 6.75 engine. (correct me if im wrong) I'll give it another look his evening maybe it was to early this morning to be able to see it

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henridebonohuskinson
Thanks Michael

There doesn't seem to be a number there. I suspect however that your SS1 has the 6.75 engine. (correct me if im wrong) I'll give it another look his evening maybe it was to early this morning to be able to see it
just the correction, its the small 6.2

the number is locatet just in front of the cylinderhead on the block, the exhaust-clamp is beneath it, you have to look down very deep in the engine bay, and there it is not always as clean as my pre-owner liked it.

Michael
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Hi Michael, thanks for taking the time to reply. No luck with that either. The only number I have stamped is under the thermostat housing which is SY2579 while my chassis is SRH3516. The build documents I got from the RR Club mostly mention the engine no as being 3516 but sometimes also mention SY2579 along with 3516. Not sure if the SY2579 is my engine number or engine variant

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 02:54 PM

I can not imagine where you took the pic of your number, is it stamped on the block, or is it just the intake manifold? My handbook (from CRH 6002 onward, printed in 1969) shows just the position of the engine number where mine is.

It was a good thing to look after my engine number not only for helping you, but I recognized that my condenser fell of the generator...

Michael
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Its on the engine block right below the thermostat housing marked in red. Its a really pain to manage to read the number where its located. I guess they may have sometimes haphazardly stamped them elsewhere. The reassuring thing is that the number matches the factory documents.

Thanks a lot Michael for helping me out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode