Help! - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Help!

Hi everyone.

I have hit a wall..... I have come to move my car to a garage again today to find it is stuck in park! I start car depress brake move selecta to r,d,I or L and nothing happens! We tried giving it a push and by the resistance I would say it has defiantly stuck in park..... Just to add.... If I try to select start in R,D,I or L it will not start as it is ment to..... This tells me that it may not be an electrical problem...? There is a little to much oil in the gear box when checking the dip stick.... But I'm not intending to drive it just need to move it in neutral so I can winch it on to a lorry. Please can someone help?
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 01:09 PM

Hello Dan,
Which car do you have? There is a circuit breaker on Shadows which isolates the gear change mechanism. On a Shadow 2 it is inside the fuse box and it is recommended that if you are ever working on the car with the engine running, the circuit breaker should be removed so you cannot accidentally knock the gear lever into drive. There is a reset button on the front of the circuit breaker if it has tripped out. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Chris
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 04:44 PM

To add to Chris's useful contribution . . .

Also check the condition of the electric gear change actuator connection where it goes into the transmission. These things tend to gather crud over the decades and start malfunctioning because the correct circuits are not being completed.

I would suspect that either your gear change cutout has been activated, you have a blown fuse, or you have the above mentioned problem.

The fact that it won't start when in R, D, I, or L tells me that your neutral safety switch is working. The car should never be able to crank unless in P or N.

Also, and not to be insulting, is the battery connected? I've known more than one person to disconnect the battery and try to do what you're doing during daylight hours, and in a hurry, and it doesn't register that the interior lights haven't come on. If you've got no power you can definitely still move the actual gear selector in the car, but the connection between it and the actuator is non-existent. This can also be a problem if the battery is very low, but still has enough power to turn on your various lights. It may not have enough reserve either to activate the gearchange actuator or to crank the starter.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 PM

I just had this exact same problem yesterday, Turned out to be just as Brian suggested, There were loose/ corroded connections at the actuator connection going into the transmission, Cleaned it up, replaced two connections..Good as new.

Bob Gardner
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 PM

Bob's response gives me another opportunity to encourage anyone who's taking virtually any electrical connection apart, cleaning it up, and putting it back together to use electrically conductive grease when doing so.

I have yet to have a connection treated with same to require revisiting later. Those that have been revisited en route to something else have looked as clean as the day I put them together.

I use Sanchem No-Ox-Id and I know others who use Gardner Bender Ox-Gard.

Brian
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your response guys.
It did turn out to be an electrical problem.... On the left hand side of the gear box there is a single wire which plugs in. Maybe a temp sensor? .... I'm not sure but upon inspection this seemed loose. After giving it a firm push back on the selector worked as it should...
Whilst we are on the subject.... I have no indication line on my sector display? Obviously I know what gear I am in due to the position of the selector stick. Also I believe my dash board is not illuminated when I turn my lights on... Would this be related?
Thank
Dan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 06:51 AM

wich lights do you turn on? on severall cars there is a sepaerate switch for the panel-lights

and as the experts are just reading this thread: DRX 7012 doese allways start in the "N" position but very rarely (1 of 10 times) in "P" position where can I test wether it is the gear lever switch or some problem in the wiring?

kind regards from the continent
Michael
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 11:31 AM

I'll work backwards:

racinggreen - if your car reliably cranks when in neutral, but not reliably when in park, it's probably a dirty, broken, or otherwise compromised microswitch. It's been too long since I last dealt with this, but I believe there is a microswitch for the park position and another for the neutral position. Check the spare parts manual for the gear selector exploded view. If there are two, I'd check the park one first. If there is only one, I'd check that whatever it is that depresses that switch when the gear selector is in park is adjusted such that it does depress it. This could even be the issue if it's a double microswitch setup but only the park "pusher" is out of adjustment.

discodan (and anyone else with non-functioning lights or other stuff) - After checking the obvious - fuses - my next suspect is always bad ground/earth. I would not be shocked if that single line you described as being loose is the ground/earth line for the gear actuator. These cars are notorious for electrical issues that come from bad ground/earth. This is another thing I tell people who are "in the area" of any random grounding strap or ground wire connection to the chassis: Take it off, clean it up, and put it back together. Ideally, if you have electrically conductive grease then by all means, apply it to all the parts composing the connection before reassembly. If all you've got is dielectric grease, at least give a decent coating to the outside of the completed connection to create an extra layer of protection from atmospheric corrosion. Half of my dashboard (lower half) on SRH33576 only intermittently illuminated then stopped working completely. It was all due to a single bad ground connection for that bank of lights on to the metal part of the chassis upon which the wood & leather for the dash end up being applied.

Back to fuses. . . if you've got the originals in there do not be fooled into thinking that physical inspection is sufficient. The end caps on these things often become slightly loose and then lack of contact or corrosion occurs. Grab your multimeter and do a continuity test. Also, the fuse boards in these cars are notoriously fragile and the clip rivets come loose. Check out all these things when you've got a "lack of power" situation. If relays happen to be involved in a given circuit then you need to check those, too.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 03:42 PM

thank you for the information, do you mean the microswitches located down on the gerbox in a separate housing? Nr UD17929

http://www.flyingspares.com/shop/rol...-9000.html?p=2

kind regards from the continent
Michael
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 04:06 PM

Yes, it appears that there are two neutral safety microswitches (one for park and one for neutral, I'd presume) that are a part of the transmission gearbox electrical actuator. [See section G14, the two items numbered 93, in the Spare Parts Manual]. It also appears that Crewe did one of its typical "secret renumberings" without updating the spare parts manual. These have part number UG12393 there.

For some reason I thought these were a part of the gear selector on the steering column, but I was confusing them with the two microswitches for fast idle and the reverse light that are up there.

Brian

~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode