I reversed my battery connection on my SS II Please Help! - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

I reversed my battery connection on my SS II Please Help!

I was not paying enough attention when I installed the battery yesterday, and reversed the polarity by mistake. The battery was only 5-10% changed when I installed it, so there was only little spark and no smoke or any thing burned.

I removed the wrong connection immediately and connected it back correctly after that.

The battery was charging up and seemed to hold charge better than the old Diehard Platinum battery. However, the Shadow could not start anymore.

1) No warning lights or any light/meter worked on the panel.
2) The cigarette lighter, hazard lights, power door locks work, when doors are open, the inside lights come on, and the map light works too.
3) Power seats, power windows, radio, fan blower, wipers, front lights/lamps would NOT work.
4) I hooked up our van trying to jump the car, it would not make a difference and not power going through ignition.
5) I checked the fuse box under the glove compartment, could not find any blown fuse. I swapped 2-3 10A fuses, specifically with the number 2 fuse, it did not fix anything.
6) There are no lights turning on when the key is in any position, the light panel for coolant, brake fluid, etc remained off.

I talked to my local mechanic and he said it might be hard for him to find out. I checked the workshop manual and could not find any good hint.

1) There is a module (may be called a regulator) to the left (and behind) of the battery box that has a small wire connected to it from the positive pole of the battery. Could this regulator be the culprit? Should this one be the first I shall replace?

2) Does this model have fusible links for its battery?

3) Did the reversed connection blow out some rectifiers, diodes, or other fuses outside the fuse box?

4) Any other places I should look for other than the fuse box?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Eric

1979 Silver Shadow II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2013, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Before this happened yesterday, I was able to jump start the car and drove it out of the warehouse to the parking lot. Then I changed the battery in the parking lot and reversed the polarity by mistake. Now the car is dead in the parking lot and could not be towed or push inside the warehouse through its small and narrow entrance.

I read through this forum today, and my problem is similar to some posted before, that when the key is in any position, no power goes through, nothing that requires the key in would power up. The cigarette lighter outlet reads 12V ac.

Car is a US model in US, left hand drive. 1979 SS II.

1979 Silver Shadow II
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 AM

Garage
have a search through the posts, there was one similar a couple of months ago, turned out to be a fusible link next to alternator, so could be there.
Sounds like all of the ancillary stuff is getting a supply and the heavy duty side is knocked out, so does point to a main fuse blown. I would be pushing towards an auto sparkie as this is deep in electrics country and most mechanics shy clear of this

good luck

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion. My local mechanic is not an RR guy and he would need suggestions before taking in this car for checking, and I may need to order spare parts before sending him the car. One gentlement who posted the similar problem resolved the issue bu replacing his distributor in his email reply last night. http://www.rollsroyceforums.com/foru...opic.php?t=497

It was for a Silver Shadow II.

Then I found this link:
http://au.rrforums.net/forum/messages/17/2418.html

suggesting the resolution was replacing the ignition switch on a Silver Shadow I.

I do not know much about auto repair, but hope to have some advice from the forum on what parts I should order for my mechanic to use for trouble shooting. Thanks.

1979 Silver Shadow II
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:23 PM

Garage
Hi

Risky expensive road pre empting a fault without proper diagnosis.
I mentioned earlier but I would recommend that you go the route of an auto electrician, who will diagnose and hopefully rectify the fault.
These guys really know what they are doing and its who the mechanics call on when there are electrical problems.

best of luck

John
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Thank you John.

I am in Chicago and the best hands in the area, Mr. Sala of Parkward Motors is out of town on vacation. I may have to wait until he is back in town. His company is about 40 miles from where I live.

Meanwhile, I also contact Albers Bentley in Indiana, I used to get parts from them and they are very helpful. The gentleman in parts department thinks you are right on the target too, as he said mostly likely the first thing he would check is the fusible link, specifically the amp shunt (#35). He also attached a picture of the part.

I really appreciate your reply, and I will post the resolution here when the issue is resolved. Hope someone can learn from my very unwise mistake.

-Eric

1979 Silver Shadow II
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 02:46 AM
Phantom

SSIIBattery terminal problem

Did you try a new Battery??

Colin.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Colin.

The first fault we detected is the ammeter shunt, under the fuse box on the passenger side. Here is the picture showing the damage I have done for reversing the battery.

The metal piece on the shunt is burned.

1979 Silver Shadow II
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:28 PM

Garage
I imagine it's common enough. Mine was blown when I bought the car, and some PO had spliced a 50amp blade-type fuse in parallel with it.

Some time later the blade fuse started to intermittently fail (vibration damage perhaps?) and I removed the PO's bodge and got a new ammeter shunt (thereby coming to understand why the PO had not gone this route).

Jeff.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:06 AM

Jeff,

Care to expand more upon your observation?

When my "new to me" 1979 SW-II came into my possession someone had actually cut the line to the ammeter shunt and then wired it back together with a wiring cap. I have since used a butt splice, but have no idea at all why someone would do this in the first place.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode