73 silver shadow no crank` - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

73 silver shadow no crank`

I have a 73 Silver Shadow that will not crank with the key. The transmission linkage moves to the park position, and if I jump the starter out at the starter, it starts, but the driveshaft turns as if it were in gear.
since it won't crank from the key, don't know where to go from here.
The trans linkage moves fully rearward in park, but why would the driveshaft turn if i start it by jumping out the starter as if it were in gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM

It is likely that the electric gear selector motor and cable are out of adjustment and not *quite* completing the shift into park. Since you say they are moving that would be my first guess.

Try manually moving the gear selection fully into park after removing the cable, then see what happens.

Brian
--
Well when events change, I change my mind. What do you do?
~ Paul Samuelson
, winner of the 1970 Nobel Prize in Economics
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I'll give it a try.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

ok I went underneath, and the linkage is going fully into park. I checked and I do have voltage coming out of the ignition switch white/bk wire in crank, but no power to the starter relay near the pass side firewall. The diagram shows the neutral start switch between the two, that is a possible area of concern. Do you know where the neutral start switch is located? Is it on the left side of the transmission, two wire switch? thank you
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

I wish I could find some proper documentation for this car, such as a workshop manual and wiring diagram that is readable... The ones on RRtechnicalinfo are illegible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page