ACU Test Box (RH8851) - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

Cool ACU Test Box (RH8851)

Hi Guys,

I'm newbie to the Forum. My purpose for joining the forum is to learn more about these wonderful cars we're all in love with. As for me, I own a 1977 SW II LRF32027, ten years strong. Furthermore, it's my intention to make a contribution to the forum so that others may benefit from my experience. Having said that, I would like to introduce a project on the ACU Test Box that i've been working on for over eight years. I've finally completed it and here's what I've accomplished. A brief description: The ACU Test Box for 1965 thru 1980 Rolls Royce motor cars is used to test and troubleshoot various components in the A/C system such as the Servo and Servo Modules. A faulty Servo or Servo Module(s) will render the A/C system partially or totally inoperative. The full description and operating procedures are outlined in the Rolls Royce Shop Manual which is readily available in PDF form on just about every RR forums online. I've used the test box pictured on my 1977 SWII to troubleshoot an issue with the A/C system. The A/C blew cold for the first few minutes after switching on. Afterwards, the air would become warm to the point I had to switch off the unit. I then connected the test box according to the instructions in the shop manual. After following the procedures the test box indicated that the Lower Servo was out of calibration. I followed the procedures to successfully calibrate the servo. This was approximately eight months ago; as of this writing, the A/C system has been blowing cold air consistently. Needless to say, the test box has saved me quite a bit of time and money since I didn't have to take the car to a RR mechanic. Of note, you don't have to be mechanically inclined or be an electrician to utilize the test box. The instructions in the shop manual guides you through the whole process by asking "yes" or "No" questions or to confirm if voltage X is displayed on the Volts scale or a Servo Position on the servo scale. To confirm the accuracy of the test box I connected an original ACU Test Box (RH8851) to the AC system and accomplished the same testing procedures. The results were identical. You might say that I've validated the accuracy of the ACU Test Box pictured using an original ACU Test Box that has been recently calibrated. This is a really cool toy for those of us who enjoys working on the cars we love so much.

PS: I've uploaded a duplicate picture. I haven't figured out how to delete a picture from the draft. I also have lots more pictures of the project that I would like to share on the forum.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ACU-TEST-BOX-1.jpg (87.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg ACU-TEST-BOX-3.jpg (95.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg ACU-TEST-BOX-3a.jpg (75.7 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 06:44 AM

Garage
Is that a Crewe test box, or did you build your own?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Hello jeyjey. I built it from the original wiring diagram.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Garage
Nice piece of work!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 01:46 PM

I see that your registration finally came through. Congrats!!

With any luck you managed to avoid the whole password changing bit as well.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. After several attempts I got through. Patience is the operative word here lol
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:20 PM

That is one beautiful piece of work! I am very impressed with the quality of the face lettering. How did you do that? Is this something you offer for sale?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 AM

So brilliant work!

Regards

Tony
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 01:39 PM

Garage
That's cool! Where did you get the wiring diagram from? Is it available online?

Andrew
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 05:59 AM

impressive tool indeed, well done!
Stupid question from my side: I have an 1985 Corniche (that's an SZ), would the SY box work on SZs?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode