Hydraulic pressure gauge Silver Shadow 11 - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-30-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Hydraulic pressure gauge Silver Shadow 11

Hi Fellow Enthusiasts. I need to test the accumulators and other hydraulic components on my Silver Shadow 11, SRH37250. I've purchased a Hydraulic 3000 PSI pressure gauge that has a 1/4 BSP male threaded fitting. The accumulator bleed screws are - I believe - 3/8 UNF x 24TPI. I need to attach a pipe between the gauge and the accumulator. I don't seem to be able to find hydraulic adapter fittings anywhere that will convert from 1/4 BSP to 3/8 UNF. I have managed to source a male adapter 3/8 UNF 24 TPI to M10 so I need to get from 1/4 BSP to either M10 or 3/8 UNF. Any suggestions would be welcome. Maybe the only way around it is to get the pipe flare nuts brazed at the connections but if anybody knows where I could locate suitable adapters I'd appreciate some advice, or if anybody knows where I can buy a hydraulic pressure gauge with an M10 or 3/8 UNF x 24 TPI male fitting that would be just dandy, Regards, Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 AM

Garage
Hi Larry
I'm sure Brian has posted instructions on this , maybe in a tee topic .
Mike

chassis 27650
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 05:43 AM

Hi,

If you look on ebay there are some firms selling adaptors of all different sizes and although not advertised or listed will probably have what you need if you phone them. You may need to go for two at each end.

We use an accumulator flex hose to connect the gauge to the car, ( more resistant to heat, has a bent on it, and the rotating flare nuts makes life easier) but a rubber brake flex hose will do for occasional use, just watch it near the exhaust when doing the accumulators.

You can probably get a rubber flex hose with various size and threads ends on which may do the thread size changes for you. Or a hydraulic hose firm might be able to make one up for you.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 AM

Garage
I've had good luck with my local tractor repair/parts outfit making up hydraulic hoses with various fittings. I should think Wexford would be pretty similar to Louth in that regard, but truth be told I'm a blow-in yank so I don't really know....

Cheers,
Jeff.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebentleyturbo2 View Post
Hi Larry
I'm sure Brian has posted instructions on this . . .
Mike
More than once. I also recently decided to create a "Greatest Hits" thread regarding the articles I've either written or collected regarding SY hydraulics.

See SY Brakes & Hydraulics - Diagnostics & Maintence and have fun reading.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the advice and info. Brian's guide is brilliant. I just need follow the instructions using BSP fittings instead of NPT as there is a slight variation between the thread sizes and specifications in the good old USA and my little island on the other side of the North Atlantic ocean. Thanks everybody, Regards, Larry
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 05:39 AM

Garage
Hi Brian
Thanks for the links, I knew you had already done this.
Mike

chassis 27650
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 03:01 PM

Thanks Brian

I am fairly sure I already have copies but downloaded them again, just in case. The information is so invaluable.

Geoff
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 11 View Post
I just need follow the instructions using BSP fittings instead of NPT as there is a slight variation between the thread sizes and specifications in the good old USA and my little island on the other side of the North Atlantic ocean.
So long as all the bits fit together without leaking and the correct thread can go in to the ACV and the T fitting it really doesn't matter what thread standard you use on the "gauge head" end of the affair.

I remember when I first got my Silver Shadow II and somewhat foolishly presumed that, "There must be lots of info out there for the new owner and DIY mechanic about these cars," since most of them have been in the hands of the hobbyist and DIY community for decades now. I was sadly disappointed. After picking myself up, dusting myself off, and doing research with published materials and members of the RROC-US, RROC-Australia, and others I became determined, to the best of my ability, to create the resources I so sorely wished I had had at my fingertips when I was starting out. I've done the best I can on that front and hope to keep the effort going.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian, the knowledge you share is very helpful. My pressure gauge has a 1/4 BSP male connection (which seems to be fairly standard in Europe) but I can't get a reducing bush from 1/4 BSP to 3/8 UNF anywhere or in any combination of fittings despite trawling the net for hours. I have, however, just found a 1/4 BSP to 1/4 NPT adapter and with that attached to the pressure gauge connection I should be able to follow your diagram thereafter, Regards, Larry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode