Pierberg fuel pump cars - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Pierberg fuel pump cars

Now that my car is running for the first time in 20 years, I am tackling the fuel system. As the car has no pick-up or acceleration power at all. (yes the pump is rebuilt, receiving adequate power, and works like a champ).

I was driving leisurely to the muffler shop to have the EGR system welded because where it comes down from the top of the engine down to the oil-pan area ant T's off, it is cracked at the original weld point. Would this cause the car to die? I know it will cause high idle (which it does)

Anyway, as I was driving the car just quit on me after about 2 miles. Now, it will idle fine, but when I put it into drive--- it chokes and dies. I had it towed back and hunted down the carb filters and changed those out. They were nice and mucky but not clogged because I could still blow through them. The (temporary) main fuel filter is new as well, but I will swap it with another one before I give it another go. Is there anything else I should do? I plan on replacing the fuel lines to newer unleaded lines, possibly even metal lines. I also plan to fill the tank and drain it a few times to flush it out. Do pierberg cars (like my 79 wraith) use fuel weakener filters, or no because the gas just circulates back into the tank? If so, where are they located. I haven't found one of those while looking at her belly.

Thanks!

Drives: 2005 VW Phaeton, 2005 E320, 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, 2004 CLK500, 2003 S600, 2002 CL55 AMG, 2000 S500 Designo, 1992 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood, 1979 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach8131 View Post
Now that my car is running for the first time in 20 years, I am tackling the fuel system. As the car has no pick-up or acceleration power at all. (yes the pump is rebuilt, receiving adequate power, and works like a champ).
It sounds like we're living the same life with regard to behavior issues. This is/was the characteristic of LRK37110 at the point in time that work suspended due to other life issues.

A couple of bits from my own experiences, for what they're worth. At first I thought this might be transmission related. When I had the transmission shop check things over they declared the transmission in excellent health, but made the following offhand comment, "It feels like the timing is off by about 40 degrees."

At the point my work stopped I had begun to agree with them, at least that it was an ignition problem and one with timing. I have known of cars where the spark plug wires are rearranged such that the firing order is incorrect, and depending on how it's incorrect the car may still run, and seemingly well at idle, but put it under load and "you've got nothing." The ignition timing being way off can also cause this sort of thing, too. The vacuum advance could be shot. Definitely explore possible ignition issues.

Quote:
I was driving leisurely to the muffler shop to have the EGR system welded because where it comes down from the top of the engine down to the oil-pan area ant T's off, it is cracked at the original weld point. Would this cause the car to die? I know it will cause high idle (which it does)
Can't answer this one, but my gut is leaning toward "no."

Quote:
Anyway, as I was driving the car just quit on me after about 2 miles. Now, it will idle fine, but when I put it into drive--- it chokes and dies.
Now this just screams ignition problems. I believe there is a post here about the Christmas Day failure I had of the exact same nature when I was out for a drive in SRH33576. She would not restart immediately, though, but once she cooled off and did she'd run seemingly normally until she didn't, and when she didn't she'd start backfiring once or twice then die - dead stop.

After much diagnostic fiddling I ended up doing a distributor transplant from LRK37110 into SRH33576 and, lo and behold!, she ran normally again instantly. I have since acquired a replacement distributor that's still on the shelf awaiting installation. I haven't decided whether to put it in SRH33576 since it's a Mallory optical RR-dedicated distributor, but not OEM, or to put it in LRK37110, originality be damned, because the Lucas Opus units are well-known for their unpredictable failures.

Quote:
Do pierberg cars (like my 79 wraith) use fuel weakener filters, or no because the gas just circulates back into the tank? If so, where are they located. I haven't found one of those while looking at her belly.
I never noticed one on LRK37110, either.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jim Walters
If you have plenty of fuel supply then the coil is the likely culprit. Classic symptoms. Could be the Opus ignition but they will usually not start and only idle if it starts when failing. Usually no start or quits completely and won't restart when driven. 90% of fuel problems are ignition and coils are often overlooked in my experience.

SRC18015 SRE22493 NAC-05370
www.bristolmotors.com

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 10:35 PM

Garage
Ok hear goes on my ten bobs worth or USA two cents worth

Yes could be electrical around the coil.
I dont know what car you are referring to but assuming it is fitted with coil.
Check the voltage to the coil at idle, should be around 6v.
Reason for this I had a fault in a starter solenoid which was supplying permanent 12v to the coil, car would drive, coil overheat conk out side of road star up no prblem then do the same.
check the temperature of the coil (with a glove on) if its really hot could be faulty coil or 12v problem.

So another angle for you to gon on, good luck hope you find the problem

John

Rolls Royce
Silver Spirit
chassis 34285
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the replies. I will start with a tune up. New cap, plugs, and leads. (after replacing the fuel filter again, and fuel lines) Hopefully that will help. Otherwise, does anyone know of a post or have any experience with retrofitting the new PerTronix ignition system?

Drives: 2005 VW Phaeton, 2005 E320, 2005 Jaguar XJ8L, 2004 CLK500, 2003 S600, 2002 CL55 AMG, 2000 S500 Designo, 1992 Jeep Cherokee Briarwood, 1979 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith II
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 09:06 AM

Please see my posts regarding ignition-coil replacement. In what looks like a relatively simple job, can be a royal PITA. Much depends on how the coil mounting strap pinch-bolt is oriented. Good luck!

Kevin Flankey
Orlando, FL
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFla View Post
Please see my posts regarding ignition-coil replacement. In what looks like a relatively simple job, can be a royal PITA. Much depends on how the coil mounting strap pinch-bolt is oriented. Good luck!
Amen brother!! That being said, at least once you know that you only have to loosen the strap pinch bolt, not take it off entirely, and have no need to go "all gorilla" when tightening it down things are much easier.

It was interesting to see the difference in arrangement between a car without EGR and one with in regard to ignition coil placement.

There are tons of posts, I think some here, I know some on the RROC-Australia Discussion Forums, regarding fitting a PerTronix ignition system. I know that Geoff Wootton has posted about this.

Brian

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 04:48 AM

Garage
Send a message via MSN to KevinDeasy
We had a fuel issue with a 78 model,(my sons car) we did the pump,filters,lines, but for no reason it would happen,I fitted an electric lift pump under the hood and it never happened again.It also made it easy to start,when you turn the key on you hear the ticking of the pump when it stops you only have to turn the engine once and she fires up.I intend to fit one to my 84 as it takes 5/6 times turning before it starts in the morning,it is general wear to non return valves etc
We never found out why it would just die.We did disconnect the pump I fitted to see if it would be ok BUT after 3 days it died again so he re-connected it and all is well
Kevin

Kevin Silver Spirit 84
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:21 AM

Garage
Hi All
Just a thought on what Kevin said , could you just fit the bosch type pumps that run continously ?
Mike

chassis 27650
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 01:06 PM

I know not if it makes any difference - but I am thinking that the 78 is a carburetter car and the 84 is a fuel injection car(?).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode