Driving a Rolls Royce daily - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to KevinDeasy
Driving a Rolls Royce daily

The big issue is can any person afford to run a Rolls as a daily driver,the answer is YES.iI am now on the second car like this,I had a Bentley 1984 & now a Silver spirit Also 84.In my opinion there is not a better car made,there is not any car like it that you can purchased for less than a Mini and cheaper to run than a Mini.My running cost of my Rolls compared to my Mercedes e class for 2016 are shown here.
When I bought each old car I spent around 1700€ to 2000€ before I used them daily.My Rolls cost 9000€ + what I did to it
I fitted 10 mm plug leads,iridium plugs,distributor cap,rotor arm,sports Lucas coil,top and bottom rad hoses,80 amp battery,brake pads,some pipes,changed all oils & filters,under sealed,fitted LPG unit (1100€) parking sensors (25€+ 4 hours) blue tooth radio with hande free phone ability,total cost 1970€ + my time.
Now it is an every day driver.The running cost for 2016 was for 8.000 miles,classic road tax 56€,classic Insurance 200€ depreciation €0 repairs 1 thermostat 44€ 8,000 miles @ 12 mpg 666 gallons @3.00€ ( LPG) 2000@ total 2,300€ or 28c per mile
My e class 2011 cost 44,000€ worth 22,000€ Depreciation of 3,666 per year. Mercedes road tax 390€ Insurance 650€ Depreciation 3,666€ Service 280€ diesel(8,000 miles) @ 40 mpg = 200x5.60 = 1,120€ Total 6,100€ or 76c per mile. MERCEDES 76c a mile ROLLS 28c a mile. THE WINNER IS -- R O L L S --

I will change this Rolls for a 1987 with ABS & manual fuel injection.

Kevin Silver Spirit 84

Last edited by KevinDeasy; 02-04-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 07:21 PM

I am not so surpised, such a quality car.
You are right to change for fuel injection.

Enjoy

Jean

Continental R . 1997
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM

Over here they call this "bangernomics". its well documented that running an older car, for some people can be economically viable.
the key factors of course here. Is you doing all the work yourself. This gives you confidence that "if" something does go wrong, you can fix it without it costing £££££ at a garage. which is what you average Joe motorist worry about.
The other key factor is LPG. Some people here are very against the use of this, especially on a classic car. Because they are concerned about loss of originality, where to buy and all the other standard concerns etc.
Divisive subject.
Most people who run new/ modern cars do not want to concern themselves with the biggest hidden cost of them all, depreciation. Its the dirty word of the new car world.

PS, i ran a 1990 Range Rover Classic 3.9 V8 on LPG for 16yrs, until Nov 2016, when the engine gave up big time.
I have now gone onto a Discovery TD5.

1990 Range Rover Classic Vogue SE 3.9 V8
2000 LR Discovery ES TD5 Auto
Jaguar XJ40 & X300's (Too many!)
1997 Bentley Turbo R LWB

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Makin on LPG

I started using LPG in 1977 on 6 taxis in Ireland with 14 drivers running 7 days a week 24 hrs a day so I do know all about it,the main reason LPG causes problems is lack of lub ,I use 2 stroke oil at 100/1 I run on Petrol 5 % I also have my cars set up to START on LPG ,they are quicker & smoother on LPG, and good on pollution issues.I actually don't do all the work,I found a young mecanic from Portugal in Ireland who loves old cars,I go to him and do the work with him in his garage,he charges me 25€ per hour & we get twice the work done ( I am 70 and don't want the hard work ) so the costing's I have done are there for all to judge,it is possible for everyone to find a good guy.I have lived in C.A.(USA) & Lanzarote Spain & Ireland,and have found the same type of mechanics in all 3 places if you look around,of course depending on your attitude & personality.People who love old cars love to learn from old guys like me,our knowledge will be lost.There are 2 choices LEARN. TO FIX GOOD CARS OR BUY A HONDA ,it will get you from A to B every day for 250,000 miles.
What I have posted is what it cost me.BUT I AM GOING TO BUY A SPIRIT 111 & I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT THE MORE MODERN ECU UNITS & HOW THEY WORK THE MORE MODERN MODELS,BUT THE INTERNET IS THERE FOR ALL TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT,SO WAIT FOR MY NEXT POST ON THE COST OF RUNNING A SPIRIT 111 IN 2017
Kevin
PS

Kevin Silver Spirit 84
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry could not edit spelling error mechanic ( mecanic)it did not work

Kevin Silver Spirit 84

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode