Chevy conversion - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Chevy conversion

I was looking at some Rolls-Royce classifieds yesterday and noticed that some people have converted their engine to a Chevy 350.

Is that done for reliability reasons? Or are they just trying to protect their stock engine from use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
Lew
Phantom

What a sacrilege! Whoever did this is not a Rolls Royce aficionado. They must just want the prestigious look and probably is just a country Redneck! The Rolls Royce engine is a great engine, albeit a complicated one. Since the transmission is a GM unit, it may be easy to attach a Chevy engine.

Lew
1988 Silver Spur
NAJ-24219
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2007, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Looks like this is not an uncommon occurance, at least in the States. These guys have done a few of them:
http://www.timolson.com/Rolls%20Rest...%20article.htm

At least they do it right - mod the engine rather than the car so that the owner can put the Rolls-Royce engine back in if he wants to.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to MasterBentley
Holy Sh*t Batman! A Chevy in a Rolls! Diabolical

I've seen my share of these. Some run like a raped ape, others just ruin the car. As for ease of swap due to the same trans, the bellhousing is totally different and NOT interchangeable. Same guts, different bolt pattern. Chevy has one bell, Buick Olds, Pontiac, Cadillac have another, RR, Jeep have another. You can use wild torque converters. They do interchange.

It's most likely cheaper to get a used RR motor and swap it for a worn out one than change to another engine. Too many issues, especially for the brakes. The Citroen belt driven pumps will solve the fluid pressure problem, but logistics add another layer of BS to deal with. For performance, a well done 6.75 V8 will kick some serious tail. I can help with that one.

Good luck
MB
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 11:18 PM

My father is ready for this conversion, thanks for the info. tires RC cars

Cars and fast motocycle video collection
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev0006
My father is ready for this conversion, thanks for the info.
Not trying to be snide, but I doubt that many people are "ready" for the amount of time, effort, and money that these conversions involve. As someone else once said to me, "These conversions are seldom done and even more seldom 'done right'."

The best example I've seen online was done by Berea Automotive Engineering in Berea, OH. Their page can about this can be seen here:

http://www.hotrodparts.com/rollsbent...conversion.htm

I have corresponded with the gentleman who undertook this conversion (plus a great deal of other restoration work) and he said he has spent over $100K so far on this. A Shadow series, in absolutely tip-top concours condition, is not worth half that.

You can buy very well maintained/restored Shadows for around $25-30K USD these days, and the conversions cost at least $20K the last time I checked. You're better off buying another Shadow in very good condition and using your existing one as a parts car. [And, actually, you can often get more for the car parted out than it's worth intact.]

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode