Hello everyone - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello everyone

Hello,

first of all excuse my english, hope to write in the best understandable way

I'm Alessandro and I'm writing from North Italy, Verona; I'm 31 this year.

Actually I'm a Jag owner, I bought a '98 XJ8 4.0, Sovereing LWB (classic BRG + Ivory interior) in Jan last year, I love this model since I was eight y.o.

I always loved classic British cars and engines, in particular these years I'm spending time on RR / Bentley since my Jag "sleep" into a garage of local RR/B service here in my city.

I'm looking for a Silver Spirit I, my '83 - light blue (don't know the exact color code), low mileage, Conolly blue interiors.. Even if, probably would be a better choice to buy a Silver Shadow, I will ask for precious suggestions to you guys

In the meantime thanks, glad to be here.. have a nice evening.

ciao!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Hi Roy,

Your english is as good as mine...
I would recommend you rather a Spirit than a Shadow, principally because of the hydraulic reliability directly connected to 2 different fluid.
Shadow had synthetic Castrol RR 363 and SPirit have mineral LHM like Citroen cars.

Spririt 83 low mileage might be a good choice
Welcome
Jean

Continental R . 1997
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:47 PM

I have a Silver Shadow 11 and it drives very well and all the hydraulic components have been serviced recently. It's a pleasure to drive. Like Jean I would recommend a Silver Spirit for the same reason i.e., LHM hydraulic fluid is less hydroscopic. I'm looking for a good Bentley Eight which is virtually identical to a Silver Spirit, I prefer the Bentley Grill. Welcome to the forum.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 11:59 AM

Garage
Welcome RoyRogers!! A Spirit is a wonderful first Rolls. Find the best you can and enjoy it.

Mark, a former Jag owner.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Try ClassicMotor, Bologna. They have some nice looking Silver Shadows but they are expensive and what looks like a beautiful Bentley Eight (right hand drive) for only £13000. I don't know anything about the company as I have never had any dealings with them. Google ClassicMotorItaly and you will find their web site. Happy hunting, Larry.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:25 PM

Garage
Ciao amico,
Sono lieto di averti qui, il jaguar è anche uno dei miei preferiti, non dirmi qui i miei amici, sto scherzando. Vivo negli Stati Uniti, ma ho pensato di scrivere in italiano come hai scritto in inglese, di benvenuto e di tutti i consigli e aiuto che hai bisogno è proprio qui quando si ottiene il tuo Rolls Royce ... Ma da ora in poi usiamo l'inglese solo così Tutti gli altri capiscono, effettivamente metterò sia nel mio post.

Now in English:
Hi friend,
Glad to have you here, The jaguar is one of my favorites too, don't tell my friends on here, I am joking. I live in the US but I thought I would write in Italian as you wrote in English, welcome and all the advise and help you need is right here when you do get your Rolls Royce...But from now on we use English only so everyone else understands, actually I will put both in my posting.

Cheers!
Jon

"Gracie"
1979 SSII
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Garage
Cool post, jonnyc. We are indeed a world wide forum.

Mark
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 PM

Alessandro,

Welcome. Your English will be much better than the majority of non-Italians' Italian would be!! I'm monolingual as most Americans are.

With regard to buying a Rolls-Royce or Bentley if you don't already own one I have 2 general pieces of advice:

1. Buy the best example that your finances allow. There is nothing more expensive than a "cheap" Rolls-Royce or Bentley that requires a lot of work, even if you do a great deal of it yourself. This is particularly true of the post-Cloud-era cars where you have no hope of ever getting restoration costs back again at sale time.

2. Drive as many examples as you can from any of the eras that you're considering. You learn a lot by doing this, particularly the differences between good examples of a given model and bad ones, and these often defy easy description until you've experienced them in the context of a drive.

Also do your homework about what ownership of the various eras actually entails. One has to exercise some caution in using forums in this regard only because the majority of traffic on any of them relates to specific issues an owner is having with their car. If you use only forums as your guide (and not only for Rolls-Royce and Bentley) you could easily become convinced that most cars spend the majority of their lives in a service center, but in reality they don't [or shouldn't].

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 PM

Location: Vail CO 1995/current,Grand Lake CO 1987/current,LaPunta Manzanillo,Mexico 2008/current.
Garage
Greeting's !!! I concur with Brian, as after making the purchase of my 02 Azure this past January I joined this forum, and of course I was having 2nd thoughts regarding my purchase after reading a few posts having issues with our members RR and Bentley's. After several mails back and forth with several members, they put my mind at ease. I am still learning about my recent purchase, and the more I drive her, the more confident I become.

The key for me is to use it daily. This car is becoming part of me and am a very happy owner. Brian with all his great knowledge and expertise, has guided me through several area's pertaining to my Bentley that I was totally clueless. As mentioned...buy the best there is. You will be glad you did.

Happy Motoring,
Todd
PS: My other car being an E-type V-12 OTS is jealous of the new arrival. Ha Ha !!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you guys for your messages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 11 View Post
Try ClassicMotor, Bologna. They have some nice looking Silver Shadows but they are expensive...
Thanks, I know this dealer and yes, they have many Shadows in great conditions.. Costs are a lil bit expensive than others but they also offer more guarantees on the cars
this is the Eight you mentioned.. Very nice, beautiful color matching interiors/exteriors..
https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/-...e?asrc=st%7cas

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyslp View Post
Also do your homework about what ownership of the various eras actually entails. One has to exercise some caution in using forums in this regard only because the majority of traffic on any of them relates to specific issues an owner is having with their car. If you use only forums as your guide (and not only for Rolls-Royce and Bentley) you could easily become convinced that most cars spend the majority of their lives in a service center, but in reality they don't [or shouldn't].
Yes, you're right.. usually I try to not pay too much attention on hundreds of posts about car problems.. Try to apply the correct mix on forum suggestions and the real sensations, noises or problems of my car Sometimes I lose my mind just reading forums eheh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd K View Post
PS: My other car being an E-type V-12 OTS is jealous of the new arrival. Ha Ha !!!
Wonderful Cat.. As per Enzo Ferrari "the most beautiful car of '900", he was right! one of my dreams

I'm actually looking for these two Shadows too:

https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/r...be2?cldtidx=12
https://www.autoscout24.it/annunci/r...a059?cldtidx=9

Love the color of second one, Bronze is very courtly..

ciaooo

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive" Sir William Lyons

Last edited by RoyRogers; 05-16-2017 at 06:33 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode