ROLLS ROYCE SILVER SERAPH - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

ROLLS ROYCE SILVER SERAPH

Hi All

I am a new member and am happy to be part of this forum, and i hope i am going to learn alot of things.

I used to have a Bentley Brooklands, but then upgraded to a Rolls Royce Silver Seraph.

The seraph is on a 1998.

I have owned the car for 3 years or so and now a major service is due, and i have a list of work that needs to be done from my regular garage, but i wanted to know where i could source some of the parts from, or help with the problems as my brother thinks we can work on it ourselves, as he has a ferrari 360 spyder and does all his own work on it, so i was thinking of giving it a go.....
any feedback on what maybe wrong or parts would be much appreciated, and if i have posted this in the wrong place or something please forgive me as i am totally new to this....

front brake discs and calipers? or will it be cheaper to recon the calipers
back brake discs and calipers?
airbag light on?
very weak lock and unlock of central locking
driver seat has stopped heating all of a sudden?
cigarette lighter stopped working, every time i put fuse in it blows again without anything plugged into plug of 12v socket.
sometimes all the clocks stop working when start up on flat battery but then start working when switched off and started again
front driver side ball joint
all fuel lines and brake lines need to be replaced as rusty

ok and here is the major issue i have had for 3 years and still cannot solve after going back to the company i bought the car from about 4 times and went into Bentley/RR dealership on 2 occasions and they claimed they fixed the fault but still have not.
basically what happens is the car will start every morning no problems at all but after driving it for approx an hour, someitmes totally intermittently, this car will not start, it just will not crank, a\ll the lights come on, stereo, heaters lights everything, but when turn to crank nothing just a click.
i was advised to change the starter relay done
clean all alarm connections done
clean starter connections and grounds done
replace both batteries done
setup charger kit onto battery auxillary battery side-done

after 40 mins of not starting the car starts up first click no problems, so i dont know whether it is heat related or something else?

however last month i met a chap who works for BMW and he advised me to buy a clamp meter, and measure the amps going to the car from aux battery, starter battery, and then after the startup solenoid, and then do it when it failed, and i did this and as they did not match it clearly shows it is not a starter problem, but rather that of not gettting a signal for something to send the power to the starter. therefore the starter is now ruled out too. however i had alot of thoughts about the solenoid, and i decided to when it did not start last month, get the starter wire off the solenoid and touch it directly to the wire that starts the car, and it started, so could it be the solenoid? or did i just end up resetting something?
i still await for it to fail on me again, which it suprisingly hasnt even though i am actually wanting it to fail....amazing isnt it life.... when you dont want it to fail it does and when you do it doesnt.....anyways that is my story with my seraph in a nutshell, otherwise this car is beautiful, its fast (well fast enough for me) and it looks the business...so any help would be much appreciated as i really am thinking of keeping it long term

any ideas anyone?

by all means if anyone wishes to private message me re these issues i would appreciate it if not want to discuss on the forum

thanks in advance

Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 04:36 PM

Hi there.

I do also have a Silver Seraph, and I do also have many of the faults which you mention.
No heat in driver seat, airbag light on, cigarette lighter does not work, remotes for central locking does not work.

I will post what I've done to fix these problems when the problems are solved, hope you can do that to.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

RR silver seraph working diagrams CD

ok well i ordered the cd from online which has the ielets system or something for the full details of working on the RR seraph, but this is even more confusing....the wiring diagrams are just like a whole new problem trying to figure out what goes where. i think i might be booking my car in with a good electromechanic.... i will keep you all updated.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

resolved major starting issue

well i have some good news for all who may have this problem, the no starting issue i was getting, always starting first time i cranked every morning but then after driving for about 30 mins+ then switching off, if left for more than 2-3 mins switched off, when retry to start does not start, all light etc come on but does not crank, and you need to wait at least 40 mins for something to cool before it cranks and starts again.
this happened and i had my electronics friend at hand who i had explained everything to, and he drove over within a few minutes and the fun began.
there are two batteries in the boot, the left side is the auxillary battery and the right side is the starter battery, however there is some issue with the auxillary battery on the left which is the problem. because next to the starter battery on the right hand side there is a solenoid which controls the dual batteries next to the battery control module which is a small black box with lots of wires going in like a mini ecu. firstly there was two problems i think with my car which are being diagnosed as we speak
1. new auxillary battery required
2. battery solenoid needs replacing or servicing
the electro mechanic figured this because he got the wire that goes from the battery solenoid to the starter motor which is bolted to the right side of the battery solenoid and there is also the auxillary battery wire bolted to this so they are always connected continuously. then on the left side of the battery solenoid there is the starter battery connected. what my friend did was he took the aux cable off the battery solenoid and unbolted the left started battery wire and wired it straight to the starter motor wire going from the right side of the battery solenoid, and hey presto started everytime.
now this was a big thing for me as imagine filling up at a fuel station and the car not starting for 40 mins, now i can just setup the car with a switch go to the boot, click the switch over and boom the car will come to life.
now then once we found a remedy for whenever i am stuck in the deep end, we tried to find the problem, the auxillary battery for some reason is just no good, considering this came from the bentley/RR dealership about 12 months ago brand new, not good!!!
secondly he felt the battery soleneoid may need a good clean and grease which he did and put it all back together again, but the car did not start when the batteries were setup as they are supposed to be, so it was not the battery solenoid, but just to be safe have ordered a new one of these for what its worth and will replace it anyways. further i will be contacting RR for a new battery but am looking at some heavy duty other branded battery, as it is 64ah, 540a cca, i have seen a varta 73ah 630cca, which seems a better spec, any info on batteries and specs would be appreciated, but if anyone has this issue i would be more than happy to explain in more detail if it is not clear in this post.
i am just really happy i resolved this issue was a major downfall for me with this car.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 PM

Great Info !

Harmanbanger,

Though I don't yet have a RR nor B auto, I'm enjoying the process
of getting to know them better. I appreciate you sharing the info
about your electrical trouble and solution Congratulations on
that by the way

JOHN

I enjoy sailing very much as well as Rolls Royce Automobiles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 02:17 AM

Hi Pal,
I have a better idea... why don't you sell your Rolls Royce Silver Seraph to us and we would give you good solid discounts on Pre-owned Ferrari ? It's a good JFYI

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode