Which car to buy????? Seraph or Arnage - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Which car to buy????? Seraph or Arnage

I currently have a 94 Turbo RL and I am thinking of graduating to a Silver Seraph or Arnage. I would like an honest opinion about which car is considered a better more reliable car!

1999 Arnage BMW V8
2001 Arnage Rolls Royce V-8
1999 and up RR Silver Seraph

I have heard different things both good and bad about these models and would like some good advice.

Does the Arnage and Seraph sill have the Hydraulic Brake and leveling System?

Thanks !

Scptt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 07:09 AM

Garage
Your first stop should be the PH buyers guide which will fill you in on the Arnage T

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=2913...

Your suggested year puts you right on the cusp of model changes. The first Arnage was the Green Label with a 4 litre engine. Not that quick but cheaper to operate. Following customer pressure the car was fitted with the traditional 6.75litre engine in the Red Label In late 2001 both these were abandoned in favour of the T and R there were many improvements particularly in the area of engine management. If you want to go fast then choose the T. See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAqaGwwHlfM

For lesser performance but cheaper running cost the choose the R

The Seraph is a different beast with a BMW V12 engine. More pose and less sport!!!

If you have a look at

http://www.rrab.com/models.htm#top

the other source is

http://www.rrsilverspirit.com/models/indexSeraph.h...

These will give a full description of each type and also lists the changes made throughout the models life

Paul

Paul
Bentley Boy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 AM

My only follow-up comment, having driven only a Silver Seraph, is there's plenty of "sport" for most of us unless you're accustomed to driving a true sports car as your daily driver.

The Seraph is no slouch in the performance department. It also feels wonderfully solid, much more so than the two Shadow era cars I own (and, believe me, that's saying something).

The Seraph did go through one significant interior design change to increase the rear seat room in particular. The earlier cars are quite cramped back there if you're at all tall. Overall they are quite a bit smaller as far as interior space goes when compared to the Rolls-Royce models that came before them (and after, in the case of the Phantom, which is huge.)

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Arnage or Seraph

Are the two BMW engines V8 and V12 more reliable than the 6.7 RR engine? and what about the Hydraulic system. I have never really have an abundance of engine troubles with my earlier RR/Bentley cars, but the little things are annoying and the constant Hydraulic issues and leaks make me want to abandon the brand entirely. Something just keeps me drawn to the English luxury! HEE HEE I have also heard that the V12 engine has head gasket problems...Has anyone heard anything about this issue?

Scott
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:33 AM

I have never heard anything about the 12-cylinder engine having head gasket problems, but the VW-tweaked RR 6.75-litre 8-cylinder is legend for blowing head gaskets.

There are still hydraulics on the Seraph, but if memory serves there's a completely separate hydraulic system for the brakes and another for the leveling. I think they even use different fluids. I'll ask an acquaintance of mine who has a Seraph whether my recollections are correct.

Brian

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
~ Niels Bohr

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 12:31 PM

Brian is correct about the hydraulics. The brakes use dot-4. The hydraulics to include power steering and suspension use, in my Seraph, Pentosin hydraulic fluid that is used widely by BMW.

My car, LAY-04618, aka Rosie, is a 2000 model, my only car, and my second RR. She replaced Rosemary who was given to my daughter. Rosemary is a 1984 Spirit.

So far as I can tell, the Seraphs with 5.4-litre v-12 BMW engines are the safest bet going. There's a thread going right now on the RROC forums on Arnage engine problems that are beyond my understanding both in content and in how Crewe could allow them to occur and continue. Especially as the people affected are loyal, long-term aficionados.

I know my Seraph has been a Joy to own. She's a truly a traditional Crewe-built car on steroids. I must remind myself to use her speed control as her natural cruising speed is somewhere between 90 and 100-mph.

It was a pleasure sharing her with Brian!

Flatus in Columbia
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

RR

Thanks for that information! I am leaning towards the RR Silver Seraph because it would be something different and new. I have always dealt with the 6.7 litre engine in all of the cars I have owned. My Turbo RL really gets up and moves, which I like, but the ride is not as smooth as my previous RR cars. I do plan on driving my 94 RL for another 50,000 miles or until it finally dies.

Has anyone seen a RR Silver Spur/Spirit with the RR Grill but the Bentley Round headlights? The pic I saw actually made the RR look great! Does anyone know how hard it would be to change out the lights on a RR?

Scott
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 PM

I like the Seraph over the Arnage. Its a better luxury car, with half decent performance. If I wanted get up and go Id just buy another sports car. In other words I don't care how fast it gets to 100mph, only how it is once its there. Seraph is a better experience once at speed. The light change is possible, but its easier to go American to European/Canadian headlights on a Silver Spur or Spirit. I like that look better over the Bentley lights. Two examples of the European/Canadian and American headlights.

[/img]

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode