2004 Bentley Continental GT cost of ownership? - Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

2004 Bentley Continental GT cost of ownership?

I'm buying a 2004 Bentley Continental GT next week and it costs $77,000. My friend who works there negotiated the price to $67,000, no BS. Now this is a pretty good deal for a Bentley. I've gotten pretty good and reasonable insurance quotes from State Farm too. But what I'm worried about is... the cost of ownership. How much is it annually if i only drive the car 3000 miles a year? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM

Re: 2004 Bentley Continental GT cost of ownership?

Oil changess are around $140 by your local VW dealer, medium services with cabin air filter and wiper blades plus oil change is around $700 and the big 40k mile service with many fluids/filters/sprk plug/etc changes is $2500.

Enjoy The Drive,

Steven
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 03:51 PM

I am in the UK and am seriously considering making the same purchase.

I think I can find a good fully maintained example with under 60000 miles for 33-36000 pounds($53500-58500 at current exchange rates). So, not a cheap car, but getting more affordable.

I too would very much like to find more info on running costs and some common problems or weak points.

After much searching I am unable to find any good active forums on this vehicle, which surprises me immensly. Up until now or recently at least, I accept these cars have been bought and maintained by the wealthy, however other marques top flight models are discussed by enthusiastic owners, so whay not the Continental GT?

If anyone can help me here i'd be delighted and would much appreciate.

enjoythemusic I have a feeling my local VW dealer would point me to my local Bentley dealer!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 11:35 AM

If i may post this here, another active Bentley board for MODERN cars would be:

www.6speedonline.com/forums/bentley-42/

Generally the gentlemen there are drivers such as myself who do indeed put quite a few miles on their fine and exotic automobiles. Frankly, if you are good with spanner/etc then changing the oil is actually quite easy. First drive the car a bit to get oil temperature up a bit. Then place car on lift, remove front undertray, remove right front tyre (driver side on UK car, passenger side for USA, etc), remove/replace oil drain plug and remove/replace oil filter. Fill with 13 quarts of Mobile 0W-40 oil. Check dip stick for proper oil level.

NOTE: Your undertray may have two EMPTY holes at the front without screws, DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT put screws there as they can puncture the lines underneath them (i believe this was corrected on some 'later' models).

Enjoy The Drive,

Steven
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Many many thanks for the link. Also for the other info re oil changing. I am of the opinion if I buy a cheaper car there is no harm in doing some maintenence yourself, or certainly no harm in using a good independant garage.

I will enjoy looking through 6speedonline to find out more.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Always glad to help and if one knows what they are doing, there is never harm in making some corrections/service yourself or through a qualified independent. As a retired Formula car racer and engineer, the basic mechanicals/etc such as fluid changes are very easy in most automobiles.

Dare i say, some of us enjoy working on our cars But then again the 2006 CGT is in the shop for the 40k miles 'major' service because there is a lot to do and prefer the dealer get everything correct. So dealer servicing is sometimes best too.

Enjoy The Drive,

Steven

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode